Improvements and fixes
This update includes quality improvements. No new operating system features are being introduced in this update. Key changes include:
- Updated the BitLocker.psm1 PowerShell script to not log passwords when logging is enabled.
- Addressed issue with the Lock Workstation setting for smart cards where, in some cases, the system doesn’t lock when the smart card is removed.
- Addressed issue where saving a credential with an empty password to Credential Manager causes the system to stop working when attempting to use the credential.
- Addressed issue where an access token is improperly closed from a WMI query.
- Addressed issue where the size of a cloned file was improperly calculated by ReFS.
- Addressed error STOP 0x44 in Npfs!NpFsdDirectoryControl.
- Addressed error 0x1_SysCallNum_71_nt!KiSystemServiceExitPico.
- If you installed earlier updates, only the new fixes contained in this package will be downloaded and installed on your device.
Note: This update is not available for Windows Server 2016.
Windows Update Client Improvement
Microsoft will release an update directly to the Windows Update Client to improve Windows Update reliability. It will only be offered to devices that have not installed any recent cumulative updates and are not currently managed (e.g., domain joined).
Known issues in this update
Microsoft is not currently aware of any issues with this update.
How to get this update
To get the standalone package for this update, go to the Microsoft Update Catalog website.
For a list of the files that are provided in this update, download the file information for cumulative update 4038801.